WBL (Work Based Learning)
Experience a Career Field
2016-2017 Career Preparation and Practicum Guidelines
The Texas Education Agency requires that all students enrolled in a Career Preparation or Practicum course must have a job within 15 days of the first day of school. For the 2016-2017 school year, students must have a job no later than Monday, September 12, 2016 and student training plans are due to the HISD Career Readiness department no later than Monday, September 19, 2016.
- Career Preparation is for paid work-based learning experiences only. The Practicum course can be for paid or unpaid work-based learning experiences.
- The teacher must visit each training site six times a year. The forms must be completed and signed by the last day of each six (6) weeks. Forms are due in the Career Readiness department within five (5) school days of the end of each six (6) weeks. Click here to access the Travel Itinerary form.
- Career Preparation and Practicum courses must span the entire school year; students may not be enrolled at mid-semester unless they transfer from a school where they were enrolled in the same course. It is a campus decision to withdraw a student at mid-semester because they need to be enrolled in other courses.
For a quick overview of the policies and procedures teachers need to be aware of with regard to work-based learning, view the Work-Based Learning Check List.
Submitting Training Plans
Before preparing the training plans, please review the guidelines for the Development of Training Plans
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL AND THREE COLLATED/STAPLED SETS OF ALL REQUIRED PAPERWORK
- Paid or Unpaid Training Plan (front and back):
- Child Labor Law (only applies to Paid Training Plans)
- Transmittal sheet for each of the three sets of paperwork — WBL Transmittal Form
- If a student changes training stations, the Change of Training Station document must be submitted to the Career Readiness Department within 5 days of the date of change. Please complete the form and submit it attached to the new training plan.
- Each student enrolled in a Career Preparation or Paid Practicum course must have the Career Preparation Class Agreement signed and on file in your classroom — WBL Agreement
- If a student is 18 and living at home, a parent/guardian signature is required.
- If you are teaching the Practicum in Education & Training, Practicum in Health Science or Practicum in Hospitality Services, remember that you must do a training plan for each student prior to the beginning of their internship.
- The CTE specialist assigned to your campus should schedule a campus visit on or before the submission date for the training plans. You can either give your campus training plans to your CTE specialist, bring them to the Career Readiness department (HMW-2NE), or send them through the HISD mail service (if you choose this method keep in mind the amount of time that it will take to arrive at the Hattie Mae White Educational Support Center).