Fund Your Program
Learn about Perkins funding and how to request funds for CTE programming on your campus.
The purpose of the Carl D. Perkins grant is to develop more fully, the academic, career, and technical skills of secondary education students who enroll in CTE programs. Our district goals, to meet the provisions of the grant, include:
- integrating academics with CTE programs using a coherent sequence of courses
- linking CTE at the secondary and postsecondary levels
- providing students with strong experience in and understanding of all aspects of an industry
- developing, improving, or expanding the use of technology in CTE programs
- initiating, improving, expanding, and modernizing quality CTE programs, including relevant technology
- providing services and activities that are of sufficient size, scope, and quality to be effective
- providing activities to prepare special populations for high-skill, high-wage, or high-demand occupations that will lead to self-sufficiency
Perkins Requisition Process
Timeline for 2016-2017 school year
- September: Campus CTE Meeting with CTE Program Specialist
- October 14: Perkins Requisitions due to Career Readiness Department
- October 17-21: Career Readiness Department reviews all Requisitions received **(Due to the high volume of applications the review period may be extended)
- November 9-30: Career Readiness Department notifies campuses of approvals/denials
- November 9-30: Career Readiness Department places order through the procurement department
- November – December: Campuses start receiving orders. Campus CTE Department Chairperson is required to notify campus front office to expect and receive items. Once the campus receives items, verification of order and/or packing slips must be submitted to Monika Banos at Route 1.
Use the process template when meeting with your campus CTE Program Specialist as you begin to discuss campus priorities for Perkins purchases
READ THIS BEFORE OPENING THE SAMPLE REQUISITION FORM!
The Job Growth Projection data needed for your requisition can be found through the Workforce Solutions website below. Scroll down under ‘Commonly Requested Reports’ and click on the ‘Gulf Coast Area Occupational Projections 2022’ item. From this link, you will be able to access the information you are looking for.
Please note that the Career Readiness department works diligently in trying to fulfill all of your requests to enhance your programs. However, please know that the Career Readiness department is obligated to meet the grant and district parameters when approving your requests. Not all items will be available for purchase and not all vendors meet the district’s policy.
The following items are not allowed for purchase using Perkins funds:
- Consumables. Consumables are intended to be used up and then replaced. Examples include paper, ink, CO2 cartridges, replacement batteries, toner, and replacement printer cartridges.
Please keep this in mind when requesting items such as printers. The campus will be responsible for purchasing any toner, paper, and other consumables that may go along with these items.
- Vehicles and trailers
How to use the Procurement website to find approved vendors
- On the Houston ISD select Directory, then click “Procurement”.
- In the left column of the Procurement website, click on “Bid/Co-Op Supplier Search”.
- Choose a description of the item needed. You will then get a list of BID vendors with contact information.
- Please review each “Project Expiration Date” and email each vendor directly for a quote.
Submitting a Quote
A quote from a vendor provides the estimated cost for a particular job or service.
Call or email the vendor and request a written quote with HISD pricing for the specific items you would like.
HISD has contract pricing which is not found on websites and in catalogs. For this reason, you will need to contact vendors to get HISD special pricing via a quote.
These examples are NOT Quotes:
Shopping cart screen shot:
Hand written order form:
Perkins Requisition Form
When you have completed identifying the items needed for your campus CTE programs, use the online Perkins Requisition form to submit your request:
Perkins Scoring Guide
Review the scoring guide used by the Career Readiness Department to approve Perkins requisitions